Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hello to the Mariners, goodbye to the Duke of Flatbush

While I didn't have as much opportunity to listen to today's game as I would have liked to, it was still great the M's were able to come back and win the annual charity game against the Padres in the 10th inning.  I did catch a bit of the game on the radio as I was running errands, and there were definitely some high points.  The highest, of course, was that Eric Bedard pitched a perfect first inning on nine pitches.  The second was that the M's were able to score five runs in the second on a bunch of two out hits.  Does it mean anything?  Hell no.  Am I excited because the M's are playing games against someone besides each other?  Hell, yes. 

Also got the word that Duke Snider passed away yesterday.  Just a damn shame.  Snider played the game right at a time when he was the least well known of the Willie, Mickey and the Duke trio.  Good enough to play his way into the Hall of Fame, Snider played 18 seasons in the big leagues, mostly with the Dodgers in Brooklyn and LA, before wrapping up with the Mets and Giants.  Just a great ballplayer, far more low key than Willie and Mickey, he was a key member of all the great Dodgers teams of the late 40's, 50's and early 60's.

2 comments:

hollyedaisye said...

I know that when people think of the Brooklyn Dodgers, a good amount of them picture Jackie Robinson, possibly Pee Wee Reese, or even a young Sandy Koufax. However, to me the Brooklyn Dodgers were Duke Snider's team.

Although he never won an MVP award, he was an eight-time all-star, and still is the Dodgers all time leader in several categories, including home runs with 389.

As I write this, Terry Kashman's song Talkin' Baseball plays in my head...

Makes me want to finally read The Boys of Summer now.

Rest in Peace Duke of Flatbush

TK said...

OK, that was supposed to be from me, but I forgot to sign out of my wife's account :)